Saturday, November 21, 2009

As the journey continues..

Dear Andrew & everybody else :P haha
Reflecting back on the week I have had, brings many thoughts to mind.
It has been full of lots of excitement as well as a few frustrating moments.
I have been told I am getting a really good view of how missions is, since I am not only seeing the ups, but I am also seeing the major lows that can occur as well. I have seen God in many different ways this week and continue to see him in everything I do.
First of all, an update from the orphanage. Things this week, have been very off and on. You never really know the kind of day you are going to have with the kids leaving the house in the morning. We had a few days, where the kids moods were very down and we were just continually having to nag them to get their chores done. (Which isn't enjoyable, because really who wants to be a nag?) These days are frustrating, but expected, since you really can't expect kids, who have gone through all they have, to be super positive and upbeat all the time, every day. So some days when one kid is having a good day, the other is having a terrible one, so you just need to try to be aware of how the kids are feeling. Then you have days like yesterday!! It was the greatest day I have had in a very long time!! Every single kid was super happy and in very good moods. They all completed their chores ALOT earlier than usual, which allowed for a lot more free time with them to just hang out, laugh and enjoy eachother's company. I got to do one of the girls hair all up and pretty, so that was fun for me! They had an assembly at school that day, so all the girls were getting all done up. Make-up, hair and they all wore pretty outfits. It was just a really happy mood in the house. Even ironing for a large portion of the morning, was so much fun, just listening and watching all the kids having such an awesome time together! :) Days like these allow me to have reassurance that I am right where God wants me, because I only have Him to thank for them. So overall, things are going pretty good at the orphanage. Besides the off day every so often, the kids are such blessings in my life and I love every single one of them. If you could pray that my friendships with each one of them continue to grow into something which they could rely on and turn to in the future when they need help, that would be awesome. These kids are absolutely incredible, and make me smile just thinking about them! :)
Another cool thing I got to do this week was attend a big Mexican Christian Fiesta. It was a full day filled with christian fellowship, worship, games and activities and of course lots of food!! We got to see our good friend Ramone and his family, who I met last year while I was here. He is the one who made me chop a chickens head off, haha, and one of the men here who I have a huge amount of respect for! He has an incredible heart for God and very humble in all that he does. We also ran into Marco and his wife Bere, who I also met last year, which was awesome! He was just recently married, and it was great to see how happy he is now! :) He is now pastoring in a small church near Monterrey and is loving it. We will be going to visit there at some point during my time here, so I am really looking forward to that. We were also given a tour of the bible school where it was held. It was very nice, and they invited Rick to come preach some time, so we will be going back there some time in the near future.
I also went to a couple birthday parties this week. One being my new American friend Seth's who lived with Rick and Lisa for a month before I came here. It truly was a mexican event, since food wasn't served til about 12:30. Needless to say, we left right after we ate our dinner! Haha. It was a really good time as well though since I got to meet a lot of youth from one of the church's in town that Seth attends. Luckily all the people who talked to me, were practicing there English, and I learned a couple Spanish words during the conversation! :)
Tonight, I am going to youth for my first time with Seth and my Mexican friend Ray, which I am really looking forward to! Even though I probably won't understand half of it, I will still love it since it really moves me to watch people praising God, my same God, in another language! :)
Anyways, I think that was all I was hoping to include in this one, so again thank you for all your continued prayers! God is moving in this place and I cannot wait to see what he has in store!
Prayer Requests:
1) The orphanage. That all things that happen in this place are God honoring, and loving towards the kids. That the kids will continue to grow with God's unconditional love in their hearts and that we will have more days like yesterday! :)
2) My Spanish. I have been learning more and more everyday and can understand alot more than I can actually speak right now, so just that I will have the focus and drive to study more, and everything that is studied stays in my head! :)
3) My close family & friends as well as myself. The hype of me being here is starting to wear off a bit, so just that when the feelings of missing eachother come around, we will all continue to be strong and focussing on the positive fact that I am here doing what God wants for me! :)
4) Rick & Lisa. I have been so blessed to have them in my life down here, and really wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for them! Pray for direction in their future plans and that God would continue to come through for them in all their needs. They have been such a blessing to me, so I hope to be a blessing to them as well, in any way possible.
Thanks again! I will continue to keep you updated on all the excitement going on down here! :)
God Bless!

6 comments:

  1. BLOG #2!!!
    im glad to hear from yah rebecca
    and im also glad you had an amazing day
    with the kids not too long ago.
    you're definltey where you're suppose to be so
    don't give up! and keep on persevering.
    check out James 1:2-18. steller stuff in dare about perseverance that helped me out in times of harship.
    for sure keepin yah in prayer BUT...
    you gotta keep putting up these blogs :D haha
    no no ill keep praying even if this is the last
    blog. its be good hearing from yah bec,
    l8er! -Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca! Thank you so much for this. It is so awesome to see you write like this. I need you to know that you have encouraged me greatly just by reading this blog. Your heart for God almost has me in tears right now. You are transforming from a frustrating little sister to an amazing woman of God that I know I can look to for spiritual encouragement. ( don't worry, you haven't been frustrating for some time now :) )but seriously, you have no idea what it means to me witness all that God is doing in your life, despite the battles. You are strong, but only because you are strong in your faith. I know you know that, but it's still good to know that it's evident to me, and to many others :)

    Just to let you know, we played a show tonight with Right Before the Rise. There was actually like 10 people watching us, but you know what! It was so far from our minds! It's amazing what God is doing through our music. Although our goal is to reflect God's light into the lives of the lost, we were still perfectly content because our music isn't for us. We were just able to spend the night praising God. It's great to be able to experience that with awesome guys like Nathan, Dave, Jake, Chris, and Robbie. It's just so encouraging to be with a bunch of guys with such passionate hearts for God, and to be playing music for all the right reasons. So praise him for that!

    Anyway, it's really late so imma head to bed, but know that I love you so so so much Rebecca Lauren! I will be praying for you and about your requests! Please be praying for me too. Just pray for guidance and drive. Hope you are sleeping well right now, as I write this. Night Bec!

    Ps. Nathan gave me your hug. Big hugs from your Big Bro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bec....so awesome to hear how things are going there. I'm so happy for you that you are with Rick and Lisa..I think you will be a blessing to them..as you are to your family!
    Love you and hope that you continue to grow daily on this journey you are on!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet deals Rebecca!
    Great to hear these updates and to know what it's like down south!
    Don't be discouraged, take your time and pray.

    'Look carefully then how you walk
    not as unwise, but as wise
    making the best use of the time
    because the days are evil.' Ephesians 5v15-16

    I am so happy for you that you are down in Mexico helping others learn about God in such a practical way. Don't let the days go by ever forgetting why your there.
    We're missing you a bit, but know that you are where you should be.
    Hope it's not hot down there. Are you still wearing shorts?
    It's basically forbidden now back in Durham.
    !!!
    Love in Christ - Scoooter

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'well hope it's not too hot down there' *
    you know

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becca,

    It sounds like God is doing some amazing things! I am praying honey!
    Huge hugs...
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete